You all know how much I love a sprinkle of spice in life! I have experimented with my hair colour in the past.. and I love the spicy shade of my modern bob. More than a few people have compared me to the lovely Katy Perry – and I get flattered every time – and just like my so-called doppelganger, I love to change my hair colour… but it has to be the right colour right? And once you find it, you can stick to it… because it is a commitment changing your hair colour, and it can change your whole image! So here are a few things to think about before opting for a new hue.
Consult a great hair stylist/colourist… and consider the following:
- Consider your skin tone – does this change with seasons? If your choice of colour is likely to wash you out, but you still love it, then consider looking at your foundation and other makeup choices too… maybe a whole makeover would be worthwhile.
- Does your colour choice suit your style? Or do you want or need a re-style too?
- Are you covering some grey, lots of grey – or no grey? Think of what it is that you want to change.
- Are you going for a natural colour or something more experimental like sapphire, chilli red, or even pink? If you are going for something more drastic, maybe consider a transitional colour to avoid a brassy finish, before going the whole way.
- Have you thought about whether you want block colour or highlights, or low-lights? Maybe try on a few wigs first!
- Consider all options: home dye kits or heading to the salon… (if you are doing a home kit, ensure you do the dye test and follow the instructions properly – or get a friend to help you that has done it before). Oh and if you are going for home kits – you may need more than one box if you have very long or thick hair. Sometimes the shades on the boxes are not fully accurate and the colour can be darker on your hair, so maybe choose a lighter shade.
- Think about how often you may have to re-do the colour, or the roots too… a good colour and your ideal look needs to be maintained.
- Depending on your current hair colour or natural colour, there may be certain shades that will not take on your hair, or that will vary slightly in the final colour effect.
- Do you have hair extensions… have you thought of matching that colour? Or getting them dyed in the same colour before having them fitted/clipped/attached/glued-in.
- What type of dye are you going to pick? If it is a home kit – then do you want a foam or liquid application? Foam is less likely to drip on to your face, so if you are a bit clumsy or have sensitive skin on your face or neck this maybe a good option.
- Another note on home kits – which I do think are fab, by the way, as long as you apply carefully for your needs… apply in the day when you have good natural daylight, and also apply to dirty hair… because it is easier to manage and also the ‘dirt/grease’ – or natural oils are like a protective layer too. Remember you can get some dyes that are more natural in content – which you may prefer.
You see! Lots to think about! And there is still probably more too… the main thing is you are happy with your choice and safe with application… enjoy bringing lots of colour into your life and hair.. ;o)