Every year, every runway of every fashion show display an amazing array of striking hairstyles from avant garde and radical creations, to simplistic, clean styles, all of which really turn the heads of crowds… And for a session stylist like myself, well, these shows fill me with excitement at the sheer volume of some of the styles and the sleekness of others – and it solidifies in my mind that it is the hair that adds the flair to any outfit.
At the moment for me, I think the 5 top crowd stopping, head turning styles that will continue to set trends are:
1. Glossy wet look and swept back from face: leaving the hair naturally trailing down the back. This style gives a bold and empowered look and has been sported on models for designers Balmain, Giambaltista, Gucci, Prada and Missoni.
2. Deep side partings, which are great for showcasing your best side and giving an edgy look that is very much entrend. This has been a popular choice for designers Rochas, Chloe and Marni. This chic look has also been seen on startlets such as Jessica Chastain, Marion Cotillard, Amanda Seyfried and Kristen Stewart on the red carpet.
3. Retro glamour waves inspired by a vintage era – but with that modern twist, by keeping the hair sleek on the top. This has been on Bottega Veneta models and is a staple but smart hairstyle that oozes elegance.
4. The low chignon bun – it always manages to make its way back on the catwalk, having been an option for Rag and Bone. This makes a refreshing change from the top-knot, and gives a glamorous equestrian look that is tidy, sleek and very polished.
5. Pony tails: Many designers send their models down the catwalk sporting all kinds of pony tail variations from sleek and straight to messy and curled, edgy wide pony tail at the nape of the neck and tucked under ponytails. The great thing about this trend is that it can be adapted by the wearer to suit their mood – Whether you seek a look that is femme fatale, Bohemian babe or amazing androgyny – there is a pony for everyone!
It is an absolute pleasure being a part of so many beautiful brides’ wedding days – the whole process of me meeting the bride and designing the hair style, to the trial and doing the ‘do’ on the day is all worth the energy and effort once I see them ready to commit to their future husbands.
My lovely client and friend Carly was in this very position on Friday 20th July 2012, here she is in the process of me doing her hair and her becoming a stunning bride.
Carly getting ready for her big day
Having finishing touches!
Carly wanted a soft and full volume updo. Her hair is bob length so being the hairy godmother I am, I yet again worked my magic using lots of extra hair! I also encouraged Carly to purchase a fantastic Jenny Packham head piece. I just love a Jenny Packman creation! Her pieces are exquisite! These can be purchased online or at Teokath in Canterbury.
After waiting patiently, Carly was transformed into one sexy, hot bride! Ready to strut her stuff down the aisle of commitment…
I had a fab time meeting up with Shona McGarty again, in order to create another hair masterpiece for her red carpet look for The British Soap Awards 2012. Shona is close friends with Hetti Bywater, who plays Lucy Beale in Eastenders, and so I did her hair too on Saturday the 28th April. Emily Rose was on the makeup, and Nina Sobers was the girls’ stylist for the event, choosing dresses from Tina Lobondi, who actually made each girl a bespoke dress. The girls had heaps of red carpet coverage, and Look Magazine chose both of their looks in their top-five. I created a high bun up-do for Shona, to add to her sophisticated Angelina Jolie inspired look, and for Hetti, I went for a 1920’s inspired up-do, with finger-wave detail and delicate curls.