I have had a great year of working with celebs, VIPs, gorgeous brides, great brands, as well as writing for bridal and fashion mags, one including British Mode… And an article I had published in the summer for them seems relevant now… bleaching is a bold look, but still very much on trend, especially with the likes of Gwen Stefani having rocked it for years, and now Rita Ora, not to mention the connection with icon stunners such as Marilyn Monrow and Bridget Bardot… I reckon that a striking snow queen look is great for the festive season… so can you carry it off?
Firstly, remember that bleaching hair for that lighter look can be quite damaging if not applied correctly – Here are my tips on bleaching:
Be realistic to your expectations. NOT every one can go blonde!
– Your hair colourist will advise you on the best way to go lighter. It may mean that if you have dark hair and want to go peroxide blonde, this is likely not to be achievable in one go. You will most probably have to do this gradually to achieve your target shade and be kinder to your hair.
– The level of damage done also depends on the amount of the colour change. For instance, going from a dark to a light shade is the most hazardous, as the bleach maybe stronger and possibly left on for longer.
– Adding a few ‘lighter’ extension hair pieces, is a great way to add colour but without the commitment or damage to your hair. Balmain offer a great range of ‘fill-in extensions’ so check out their new Ombré range!
How to care for your bleached hair!
– Bleached hair is very porous – And just like a sponge, it soaks up water quickly and then rapidly loses it.
– Once your hair has been bleached, it becomes weaker and the cuticles are very open. It’s important that you use products that will help close the cuticles whilst retaining the moisture.
– Be sure to regularly give your hair some TLC- Yes tender, love and care for your hair works a treat, and deep conditioning treatments are a must once a week. There are plenty of good conditioning masks out there on the market. Everyone’s hair is different so it is a case of trial and error to find the right one for you.
– Protect hair from heat by using a good heat protection product. We constantly put our hair through rigorous daily routines of blow drying, straightening, and curling – to name but a few, to create our day and evening hairstyles!
I absolutely swear by ‘Khiels straightening cream’ it is my favourite heat protection product. This product does what it says on the pot literally! It protects, smoothes, straightens hair and smells wonderful. I use it on every client of mine and the results are amazing – I just can’t get enough of it!