I had an interview this month with Inside Kent, about my multi-award winning year… Thanks
I love these brands always… but here are the reasons I use Balmain, Wahl and Batiste…
- Wahl are a great brand, with years of experience and a fabulous team of people ensuring that the services and products they offer are at a high standard. They fabulous for male grooming.
- Balmain are a brand I have worked with for years, and so of course they make my love list… One of my fav pieces is the Complete extension 60cm, because it gives be so much hair to work with, and the mixture of colours available mean I literally can match any hair to it… #hairheaven #hairobsessed.
- Batsiste is a fabulous dry shampoo… it is not the first time I’ve raved about this, but I can go through so much working with bridal up-dos, and red carpet clients… so that I can create added shine and volume.
Happy Valentine’s Day this month to these lovely, brilliant brands.
So when it comes to hair, it isn’t just about a model or client rocking up and having a snip here or a clip there… there is a lot of planning that goes into working with brides so that they get their perfect style on their wedding day, working with briefs for photo shoots so that the whole creative team are happy and working with my regular clients… because a lot of people come to me wanting a change… there are chats and consultations involved… and for me planning everything down on paper too… And this is the case today – as I have a fab creative editorial shoot on the 7th September and it’s all about pastels and wigs and layering… and I am prepping some hair that I got from Balmain and some wigs I bought online…. but I am also going to actually be cutting some of these on the models at the day of the shoot… and this has its challenges, as I have opted for synthetic wigs not real hair wigs, and also If I cut away to close the scalp the wig can just fall apart… so I need to really concentrate and I’m hopeful the model sits nice and still too ;o)
I’m really looking forward to working with photographer Dawn at Bow Bunker studios again – she is amazing, and the lovely Anne Marie Simak is on makeup, and the fab Dawnn Lee Mitchell… What a team… watch this space for images!
I just had to share images of one of my recent beautiful brides… How much do you love the hair?! Thought so – me too… If you are a bride-to-be – Do you see yourself wearing your hair like this? Don’t worry if your hair is shorter – you may have time to grow it – also I always carry enough Balmain extensions.
This is so elegant and regal from the back, and the front is a little bit boho, with the braid detail and so this style is perfect for young, modern brides.
Check out more of my bridal styles on: VickiLordBridalHair.co.uk
Not only am I your Hairy Godmother, but I am also a real mother of two gorgeous girls, and up until recently I had my lovely Nana around (she sadly passed away on my birthday in January of this year), and so there was four generations of us… My mother always experiments with her hair, and I love the fact that I get to play with my daughters’ hair – they are like my own little dolls to practice on. I wanted to post this up for Mother’s Day last month… but I was super busy sorting my academy, and doing shoots and brides, but I think Mum’s should be celebrated every day!!!
It is important that all mums feel special, and well, you may have heard me say it, or you may have read me write it (you know what I mean), a million times (maybe not that many), but if your hair looks good then you feel great! It is one of the secrets of the universe… It may seem surface, but try it – it’s like magic. Being a busy working mum, it is not always easy to keep your hair looking like you have just stepped out of a salon, but here is a look that any mum can achieve super quick each morning before the school run or a day of grocery shopping… so give it a go… But make sure you also treat yourself to a pamper and re-style in a salon every so often – because you are worth it!
So the easiest most effective do for busy mums would have to be the pony with a quiff! This is a practical hairstyle that can be done so quickly and has instant impact! It’s great to be able to tie your hair up whilst you’re running about being super mum!!
- Section a triangle section from your temple area and take it back about 2-3 inches towards the crown area.
- Isolate this hair away from the back of hair.
- Secure the rest of the hair back into a ponytail at the back of head towards your crown area.
- Gently back brush the triangle section at the front to create the quiff, use dry shampoo at root area to help create height and texture whilst back brushing, smooth the top layer of quiff tail using the back brush.
- Dress the quiff back towards the base of the ponytail creating as much height as you’d like and then secure with grips.
- Now with the ponytail down take a small section of the ponytail from underneath and wrap around to disguise grips and band.
- Secure with grips underneath base of ponytail.
- Spray with hairspray to secure in place.
Tip: For an extra sparkle try curling the ponytail! Or if your hair is not quite long enough try adding a clip-in pointy tail… Balmain have a great range!
Love from your Hairy God Mother x
Soft bridle brush, hair band and grips
Dry shampoo Batiste, hairspray Elnett loreal
Ultimate Wedding Mag is a super duper interactive wedding magazine and they have featured some of my work see above, as well as a tutorial…
I am thrilled to have worked with such a great team on this, as it is the UK’s only fully interactive wedding magazine and it means that you can dowmload their latest issue and read my articles via the APP store or check out their website: CLICK HERE.
Katy Perry has always been a favourite celeb of mine! And I know how much other people love her too – her fan base stretches across all age groups, and I think she is the most followed person on Twitter… I best check if I follow the lovely lady too! Ms Perry always pushes the boundaries when it comes to her hair – Oh and not to mention the number of times I have been told that she looks like me -perhaps she is a little bit of a prettier and younger version though hee hee! – But I still take it as a massive compliment each time I am told.
Look it is November – a time for fireworks right? And you know what some times I hear fireworks go off randomly from late October all the way through to New Year – any excuse for a celebration, and to light up the sky… But what about lighting-up your hair like Katy herself? She has transformed a once-simple curled hairdo into a firecracker of a style by just adding flashes of bold colours… And whilst hse is not afraid to go all out with the hair dye… this particular hairstyle is achieved by simply adding clip-in hair extension… Pretty COOL!
How to recreate this colourful simple hairstyle:
You will need: Fat barreled curling wand, comb, heat protector spray, soft bristle brush, and hairspray.
Hair length required: shoulder length hair to long.
- On clean blow-dried hair, apply a good heat protector spray evenly throughout to protect the hair from the heat of wand.
- Create a deep side parting best suited to your face shape.
- Starting from the nape of the neck, take large sections of hair and wrap around the curling wand, keeping the wand vertical as you go… TOP TIP: Make sure you pin the curls in place with sectioning clips and allow it to cool; this will create a stronger and lasting curl.
- Once all the hair is curled and cooled, remove pins then gently run your fingers through hair to create a soft wave.
- Add clip-in extensions through the fringe area and clip in an additional clip-in at the opposite side.
- Curl the extensions and then using your fingers blend the coloured extensions into the rest of your hair.
- Spray with hair spray to secure in place.
Perfect… now Baby you really ARE a Firework!
French women have an amazing sense of style when it comes to fashion, makeup and hair, don’t they? If you fancy looking as stylish, chic and sophisticated, then why not try out these stunning French hair up dos for that extra wow factor?
The Chignon Bun: A simple classic chic bun hairstyle which oozes demure elegance. The chignon is best suited to long or medium length hair. The chignon bun can be worn at the crown, nape or the side, so therefore complementing most face shapes. For those of you with shorter hair, you need not be disappointed as there are so any fabulous bun clip-ins available. Try Balmain’s ready to wear collection they have a selection of fabulous bun pieces in many colours.
The French Pleat: This lovely hairstyle is also known as a French roll. It is a classic look that goes back to the 1940s. The French pleat is a vertical roll of hair, worn at the back of the head. It is suitable for long hair but can be achieved with mid-length hair. The French pleat suits ladies of all ages. The wonderful fold of hair is so neat and sophisticated, and this fabulous hairstyle can be worn with height at the top, messy and textured for a more fashion forward look or simply clean and tidy with high shine for a more structured formal style.
The French Braid: The French braid has always been a favourite hairstyle for many of us ladies. It’s such a versatile hairstyle that can be worn day and night! This three-stranded braid can be very practical and dressy. Whether you’re going to work, playing sports or going out for the evening. The French braid can be worn in so many ways. You can adapt long curls into a girl next door look by adding a French braid at the hairline. If you care for a more sophisticated look, try introducing a French braid into a loose curly bun. For a romantic evening style try a braid encircling the head known as a milkmaid braid or a crown braid.
I’m totally honoured to be able to say I have worked and trained so closely with such an amazing brand and company as Balmain, still working with them and their products just strengthens my ability as a hair stylist… and I feel even more honoured when I hear what they have to say about me, thank you Balmain:
‘Vicki Lord is an extremely talented session stylist and Bridal hair expert. Vicki worked for Balmain Hair as a Hair Extensions Education specialist, for many years all over the country, and never failed to amaze us with her passion and creative work. As a bridal expert, we often ask for her advice and images of hair she has created to use on our blog for others to aspire to. She is friendly, professional, and an expert hairdresser and extensionist.’
Gina Boggis Balmain Account Manager
Lots of updates in my world… here they are:
- Bought my dress for The Kent Wedding Awards – as you may or may not be aware I won last year – and I would be honoured to win again… and honoured actually just to be there again.
- I have been nominated for The National Wedding Industry Awards… so if I did you hair in 2014 please vote for me! HERE!
- The Vicki Lord team has expanded for my bridal services and so my web designer is in the process of updating my bridal site – so keep checking it out: VickiLordBridalHair.co.uk
- Had the loveliest testimonials recently including from Balmain.
- I have been working with a makeup artist on a fantastic education project… so keep your eyes peeled for more on that.
- My studio is up and running – find out more here.
- Chewton Glen in Bournemouth want me on their extended team… which is great, because they are highly acclaimed: The Best UK Hotel Condé Nast Traveller Awards
Most Romantic Hotel in the UK – Conde Naste Johnsen’s
- Lots more to share so please follow by blog, or me on Twitter, or one of my Facebook pages: Session or Bridal.
Chat soon! Vicki x