Are you heading to a festival this weekend? Or maybe in August, perhaps September… these months in this country are supposed to be lovely and sunny right? But, you know as well as I do that relying on the British weather is not always the best option… and when it comes to hair sweety, well, I would say be super prepared for any eventuality… afterall you want to look hot at the festivals even if the weather is not!
So here are some tips:
- GOOD HAIR NO MATTER THE WEATHER: Depending on your hair type and of course the weather, whatever you do may just end in a bad hair day… I am talking frizz if it gets wet, or humid, and dry if it is really hot. And if it is windy your hair may go flyway or tangled. For those of you with thick or afro hair you may just want to opt for braids… get them done a week before the festival, so they are more comfortable, you can even get funky beads as part of the hairdo for a touch of festival fashion. Hats, headscarves and hair bands can help a little with windy weather, but keeping your hair back is a better option to avoid having to de-tangle your hair. Try a braided look, a neat bun, or ponytail. Also, remember that you can add cute hair accessories or even fresh flowers to your hair. And if you opt for a neat bun, then it will gradually get messy over the time you are at the festival, which can look on-trend – OR you can easily use a hair smoother to neaten it up, and maybe even add a clip-on hair extension to add variety to your look, I love Balmain’s selection. If you use Aveda smooth infusion style prep smoother before you head to the festival its organic tapioca defends against humidity for up to 12 hours.
- DIRTY LOCKS: No showers, potential mass of mud? What to do with your locks? Well, you could try dry shampoo – These brands are topped as some of the best: Dove, Garnier Ultimate Blends, and Mark Hill – Beach to Bar. If you have the type of hair that gets really greasy at the roots, then you can just take a cool cap, hairband or headscarf. If your hair goes greasy all over just have hair bands and bobby pins at the ready and scoop the lot up into a sleek ponytail or a cute side bun. You can get a friend to help you, or use a digital camera or your phone as a mirror if you don’t have one packed… Another good opportunity for a selfy. If you do happen to get in a muddy situation, then use some bottled water (if this is all you have) to wash out most of the dirt and then opt for a low side braid with a cute cap, and groovy sunglasses – a winning festival look.
- MESSY MOP: Depending on your hair type, you may actually look really cool with that messy look – you know sexy and festival chick… if you can hack having a wild mop for a few days – you could add some flower accessories to add to the festival look, perhaps braid the front, and leave the rest to go crazy away from your face. You may want to spray the messy look into place, and go deliberate with it, but remember whatever mess your hair is in at the festival, it will need some serious care when you get home… So when you get back to the comforts of your own bathroom, brush your hair gently from the tips and gradually work your way up, do not yank it from the roots, you may find this easier if you apply conditioner even before washing it. And then use a really nourishing shampoo and conditioner that is perfect for your hair type.
Must have check list:
- Mirror or camera phone
- Dry shampoo
- Leave-in de-tangler or smoothing serum
- Bobby pins, or grips, plus hand bands
- Flower hair accessories
- Hat or cap or headscarf
- Brush or comb
- Clip-on or clip-in extensions