Around this time last week I was preparing to work with Shona McGarty again for her night with the other UK TV stars at the BRITISH SOAP AWARDS 2014. Her make-up (by Emily Rose) was elegant and sexy, which added even more glamour to that berry-red dress (styled by Kelvin Barron) – the backless number was stunning, and the block colour elongated her curvy frame. When it came to the hair, Shona and I opted for one of my all-time fav styles… The Marcel Wave. This classic, feminine and elegant vintage wave oozes Hollywood glamour. Why not try opting for this stunning look for your wedding day? Or even for a special date or event?
How to create this hair look by me Vicki Lord:
Tools needed: Hair wand or tong, soft bristle brush, sectioning clips, heat protector spray and hair spray.
Hair length required: Medium to Long
- Spray blow-dried hair with heat Protector spray evenly throughout.
- Create a deep side parting best suited to your face shape.
- Starting from the nape of your neck, work in horseshoe sections around the head, take large sections of hair and wrap hair around wand/curling tong, keeping the wand vertical as you go. Start by curling hair in one direction, then curl hair in the opposite direction at the next horse shoe section. This will help create an ‘S’-shape wave. TOP TIP Make sure you pin the curls in place with sectioning clips and allow to cool, this will create a stronger and lasting curl.
- Once you have curled all of your hair, remove pins then gently brush hair through to create a soft wave.
- Keep brushing through the hair to sculpt the wave. Once you have created your desired wave apply sectioning clips in the deepest part of the wave closest to your scalp. This helps create a nice deep Marcel wave.
- Spray with hair spray to secure wave, leave clips in as long as you can to set the look.
- Remove clips and there you have a stunning Marcel wave!
Try adorning your stunning vintage hairstyle with a bridal head dress to add that bridal sparkle, or for other events keep simple and pair with dazzling earrings like Shona’s.